Some of my favorite moments of each day occur at prayer time. Levi and Joel have recently led most of our prayers at lunch and dinner, and it makes my heart happy to hear their sweet little voices talking to God. Levi usually prays first and often starts with the prayer he learned at school (to the turn of where is thumbkin, complete with hand motions)
"Open, shut them, open, shut them, give a little clap
Open, shurt them, open, shut them, fold them in your lap
Thank you Father, Thank you Father, for our food, for our food
Thank you for our Mommies, Thank you for our Daddies
We love you, we love you"
Once Levi has finished praying, Joel almost always requests, "my prayer." Joel's prayers are always very simple and usually consist of, "Dear God (sometimes repeated a few times), Thank you, Amen (pronounced A-Mim)." After Joel prays, Levi usually wants to say another prayer, which always includes "thank you for my blessings" (pronounced Bu-Less-Nings), and often includes "thank you for loving me" (melt me!). Joel keeps his eyes open and head up but his hands folded very nicely, that is unless he wants us to hold hands. Levi always closes his eyes tightly and usually folds his hands very tightly during his first prayer, and wants us to all hold hands during his second.
We also pray before naps and before bed, but the boys rarely want to pray at those times. Philip and I say almost all of the sleep time prayers. Praying with my precious boys is so special, and something I will always remember. I love to pray for them, while the cuddle up to me before nap. I love to listen to them learn to talk to God as the pray over their lunch. I love their enthusiasm in talking to God before dinner. I love listening over our monitor as Philip prays with them before they go to bed.
As the boys grow and learn more about Jesus, I hope that they continue their love for prayer. For now, their prayers are mostly out of habit. I pray that in teaching them to pray Philip and I are planting seeds that, with God's help, will grow into a strong faith as they mature.


1 comment:
Precious! I love all four of you :)
Post a Comment