Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Philip's Elk Hunting Trip

Philip and his best friend, Sean, went on a trip to Colorado the first week of November. I encouraged Philip to write a post about their trip (and I hope he one day updates this post to include more of what really happened) but he hasn't had the desire or time just yet. These two guys have been good friends since 6th grade, and have grown up backpacking, camping and spending time outdoors together. For this trip Philip was hunting elk, while Sean was enjoying the scenery, hiking and experience of days away from the stress of everyday life. Unfortunately, Philip was not able to bring home any meat (seriously I was disappointed, elk is really tasty), but he did see some elk and learned a lot on his first ever elk hunting trip. He hopes to go again in the next few years and hopefully have success. I won't try to recount any of Philip's stories, but he had a wonderful time adventuring in God's amazing creation and getting close to some stunning creatures. He took a few beautiful pictures...no wonder he always talks about moving to Colorado for a few days after a trip to the Rockies.

driving in to the back country

I've often called him my pack mule...hiking into set up base camp (his pack weighed about 100lbs!)
 


Sean and Philip bundled up and ready to sleep
The boys camp
  
Philip and Sean both enjoy cooking and enjoyed this fancy camp meal of lamb steak, zucchini and baby bok choi
Philip's lunch break while hunting

I think any Texas hunter would think stalking elk in this weather and terrain is an adventure...and Philip LOVED it :)

No comments: