Sunday, December 8, 2013

Icy Days

On Wednesday Joel and I spent most of the day playing outside in the beautiful fall 70-80 degree weather while Levi was at school. Levi's teacher told me they had an extended recess for the same reason. The weather was forecasted to change drastically on Thursday and just in case we wanted to get in lots of  playground time before we were house bound. You never know if the winter storms are going to be as bad as the news makes it sound, but this time they were right. Temperatures dropped dramatically Thursday and we started getting a mix of rain and sleet on and off at around 9:30 am. Sleet started to accumulate that evening and when I work up early to head to work on Friday morning, everything was covered in sleet or coated in ice. It took me quite a while just to get the door open on Philip's truck (it's well off the ground and four wheel drive...yay!) once in the truck I blasted the defrosters and heat then hurried back inside to get ready. Once I went back out it was pretty easy to scrape of the ice that was several inches thick and start creeping, sliding and feeling my way to work. It was a slow and nerve wracking drive, but I made it there with both myself and Philip's truck in one piece. While I was working Philip and the boys had a grand old time playing on the ice. He sent me some adorable pictures of their fun while I was at work. After an even more eventful drive home (the ice was so thick and was also VERY bumpy over any bridge or elevated area) I walked in my house to find breakfast for dinner and two precious boys snuggled in fleece snowman pjs by a warm fire, drinking cocoa. So sweet!




The temperatures remained well below freezing for the next two days, so we were able to get in some ice fun with the whole family as well. Levi and Joel had so much fun sliding down our neighbors driveway and using their dad as their own personal sled dog :). Philip got in a good 20-30 minute work out as well. I love watching all three of my boys laugh and play together...makes even the coldest day warm. Sunday morning church was cancelled, so we made a big breakfast and spent some time praying and then enjoying a leisurely meal. We had a lot of fun with the ice, and luckily stayed warm and safe through out. I'm hoping for snow later this winter!








No comments: