Thursday, January 16, 2014

Levi's First Hunting Trip

This past weekend Philip took Levi for his first "hunting" trip to the lease. They had a wonderful time! I'll admit, I'm not always a big fan of hunting season. It takes up alot of Philip's time and money every fall. I do however, love that it gave Levi the opportunity for some special one on one time with his Daddy. Hunting has been a common interest for Philip and his Dad, and for my Dad and my brother. It has given them a reason to spend a lot of quality time together, which gives me hope that it will do the same for Philip and our boys. Technology is taking over so much of our daily lives, and I love the idea of my boys having some forced "unplugged" time with their Dad. If the both Levi and Joel end up enjoying hunting and want to go on trips with Philip every year this also means I will have some kid free weekends...big bonus :)

I LOVE this picture of Levi, that is one happy little guy hunting with his Daddy :)

Philip said Levi loved using the "noculars" to "watch the deers"
They usually hunt each morning and then again just before sunset. Philip said Levi did a great job in the morning because it was very cold and they didn't see much. He was really impressed with how well Levi stayed mostly quiet and still in the blind. After some lunch and naps they went back out to hunt and this time they saw several deer. Philip was going to follow Levi's lead on whether or not to shoot any animals in front of him, and only do so if Levi seemed very comfortable with the idea. Well, when they saw the deer Levi quietly told Philip to shoot. Then he got his ear protection on and binoculars up waiting for his Daddy to get a deer. So, Philip shot a doe and he said Levi didn't seem bothered. Levi was very interested in the process of field dressing the deer and asked Philip if he could see what the "tummy juices" looked like as well as if that is what "peoples insides look like."

Levi asked to take a picture with the doe
enjoying a camp fire with Daddy after a long day of hunting :)
Levi slept in and stayed at camp with Papa the next morning to avoid the cold.
They also spent some time hunting for ducks and Levi enjoyed helping retrieve the birds they shot. Philip has made some very yummy duck sausage, and I'm thinking we have more of that coming after all the ducks they got this trip! Philip mentioned that he and Levi had to have a talk about respecting animals...apparently Levi thought it was funny to make the ducks stick out their tongues and "talk." I was happy to hear that Philip is having these good conversations with Levi now while he is young, so that he can be the thoughtful, caring hunter that Philip is one day.
stick in one hand, duck in another; what could be better :)

Showing off some of the birds they got with Papa
Philip's friend "Mr. Trout" joined them for this trip as well...that's a lot of duck.
Watching Levi and Philip form a strong, trusting relationship makes me so happy. I hope that they continue to share interests and grow closer through the years. Hunting is just one fun way to make that happen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha who needs a bird dog when you have Levi?!

So glad that Levi has gotten to the age when he can enjoy hunting. It's Seth's passion in life, and that passion is SO important. I think everyone should have something like that. So maybe hunting will be Levi's! Those will be some large hunting trips in the future!

Love all of the pictures too.