Saturday, June 11, 2016

Baby Girl Update!

I've been slacking on the bump updates this pregnancy! Or, I guess you could say I've been super busy and haven't found the time to blog very often. Either way, there is a lot of baby news to share since my last post. I'm 33 weeks along and will most likely be induced a week early, which means I have 6 weeks or less until we meet this baby sister! I know it's going to fly by, and I feel like we have SO much to do to be "ready" although, in reality, we have all we need and you can never be totally prepared to bring a new baby into your family. I'm experiencing a lot of discomforts of pregnancy, and sometimes it hard not to want to wish away these last few weeks, but I'm trying to focus on the joys and beauty (and humor) of pregnancy.

So, what's new? First, about 5 weeks ago we settled on a name and we LOVE it! Baby girl will be called-
Rachel Louise Boyer

Her name is special because like her brothers and Daddy she has a first name that can be found in the bible. She also shares her middle name with both of her Grandmothers (Carol Louise and Joellen Louise) which just makes my heart so happy! What wonderful women to share a name with! I also love the meaning of her names, Rachel means little lamb and Louise means warrior, I feel like a balance of both of those would make one special and strong lady!

Another recent development in my pregnancy is that I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes (GDM). This is my first time to go through this challenge, and it's a bit harder than I anticipated! I have certainly gained some great empathy for my patients who struggle with the same problem. I have to check my blood sugar first thing in the morning before I eat (fasting should be less than 95) as well as 2 hours after each meal (post prandial less than 120). I have to very strictly reduce my carb intake while maintaining a 2500 calorie/day diet to keep my numbers where they should be. It's harder than it sounds! I will also continue to see my midwife regularly and she will monitor my growth, blood pressure (preeclampsia is another risk with GDM) and dilation as well.

Photo by Joel: Nate helping listen to Rachel's heart
Since GDM can increase your risk for a placenta that matures too early and an extra large baby, I have yet another reason to be induced a little early (along with a history of retained placenta, post partum hemorrhage, precipitous delivery and large babies).  I will be getting extra sonograms with the high risk OB specialist, a perinatologist, to check on the placenta, my fluid level and Rachel's growth as well as help me manage my blood sugar levels to prevent complications. I had a sonogram earlier this week and she is already measuring 5 pounds, which would possibly lead to her being even bigger than Joel, who was 9lb 8oz.

I'm getting ever nearer to the day we will welcome Rachel, and I have been blessed to have 2 celebrations in her honor to help me prepare. Several of my co-workers are also due this summer, so my colleague Barb organized a dinner to celebrate those of us day shifters expecting our second (or in my case 4th) baby. It was a super fun girls night and I received a lot of wonderful gifts! Then, last night my Mom, Mother in law, sisters and sisters in law took me out for dinner to celebrate Rachel and gave me several adorable, thoughtful and special gifts! We had great conversation and food too, which made it an extra memorable night! In addition to these wonderful celebrations I have been given a bunch of great hand-me-downs from friends and family, and Rachel is going to be very well dressed :) So fun! I feel very blessed and lucky to have so many friends and family who already love Rachel! It's starting to sink in that I'll have 4 kids and a daughter soon! I'm so excited, and a little anxious too.

Lots of Labor and Delivery nurse baby bumps!
I'm honored to call these women my family!

No comments: