I just got off the phone with Philip and there is finally some good news. Carol's white blood cell count is back in normal range (7), she is now on dialysis only once a day instead of continuously, her DIC has stabilized or stopped all together, AND the staff of the MICU where she is now is MUCH better and has been caring, compassionate and communicating with them! They are getting much more information and feel like they have a much better grasp of the situation.
Although those things are good, she is still very critical and they still have to take it moment by moment, and day by day. Her kidneys and liver are still not functional and she is still on the ventilator. They discontinued her Versed drip, which has been keeping her sedated, and she has not become responsive yet, but it will probably take a while for the medication to work its way out of her system due to the renal failure. If /when she does start to become responsive they are hoping to start weaning her off the ventilator. They are also hoping to get a better grasp on her mental status when the Versed wears off so they can see if the DIC caused any bleeding in her brain that might have caused brain damage. A lot is still up in the air.
We are so glad that she is now being treated with respect and that the communication seems to be open and flowing. We really appreciate this new unit and wish she could have gotten there quicker. They should know more in the morning about her liver, kidney, lung and brain function as the versed wears off. They should also know more about the status of her cancer treatment soon. Please continue to pray for Carol as well as Philip, Tamara and Allen and I will update when I know more. Thank you again to everyone who has e-mailed, left phone messages or comments here. Knowing you are thinking of us and praying for us is HUGE. I'm sorry that I'm not getting back with you all, but taking care of Levi and keeping in touch with Philip seems to take all my energy. Please know how much I/We appreciate you.
1 comment:
SO good to hear! Thanks for keeping us informed in how we can pray for your family. Wish I were with you to give you a big hug : )
Post a Comment