Thursday, November 17, 2011

Adventures in Canning

Well....I just finished canning most of the jalapenos, serranos and green tomatoes that I harvested from my little garden (you may not remember that my garden is only about 3 feet wide and 14 feet long). For such a small space I am always surprised with what I can get. After one cut thumb, a couple of time-outs for Levi (I felt a little bad because it is interesting, but he had to know he could not get near or touch the canning supplies...too hot!) a couple of spills and some experimenting I finished some sliced green tomatoes for frying this winter and spring, some dill pickled green tomatoes and some pickled hot peppers! Start to finish I would say the project took 4 hours (including picking) and I happened to have all the spices and supplies needed already on hand. Not too bad. I still have to make my pepper jelly, but I didn't have enough jars to do that today. I hope they taste as good as they look!

all set up and ready to can!

spices in place...ready to fill!

boiling away the bacteria :)

Some of the finished product. I love the way the sliced tomatoes look.

1 comment:

Collin and Marisa said...

I am amazed you had time and were able to can some veggies. It looks beautiful and yummy!