Kate was amazing and stayed in great control with a relatively calm attitude and flashing us her beautiful smile between contractions. She first called me at about 11:15am to let me know that she had been having regular contractions, but that they were not uncomfortable yet, so I did not need to head across town just yet. I talked with her again at 1pm and then 2:30, although she was still having contractions, they were bearable. she still wanted me to stay at home. In hindsight, I probably should have told her not to worry about inconveniencing me and to let me go ahead and come. Instead, I put my boys down for a nap and then called her back about an hour later. This time, I could tell she was really getting uncomfortable and I needed to head her way. I called Philip and luckily he was able to head right home. Just as I was calling my neighbor to sit with our sleeping kids until Philip got home, he pulled into our driveway in record time. I hoped in the car and hurried on to Kate & Dustin's house. When I arrived I knew it was go time. Kate had "the look" and was feeling alot of pain and pressure with contractions. My Mom was there to take care of the kids, so Dustin, Kate and I loaded into their truck and made the 40 minute drive to the hospital. Kate gritted her teeth through the uncomfortable drive and walked herself into the triage unit. Upon arrival they did a quick exam and Kate was 5cm dilated (I really thought she would be further along). After a call to the doctor she was admitted to labor and delivery. We walked to her new room and Kate was still doing remarkably well. Once in the room she had a strong contraction, after it resolved we were try to decide if she wanted to wear the hospital gown or something she brought from home. As we were talking another strong contraction came and as Kate squatted to get more comfortable her water broke and she quickly progressed to fully dilated. Four contractions with pushes later Kate bravely delivered a perfect and adorable little BOY!
![]() |
| Bennett Samuel Wallace 10/1/2013 @ 6:06pm - 7lb 14oz, 20.25in |
Kate was amazing, so calm and determined. She may have said a couple of funny things during transition and pushing (I'll let her be the one to talk about that), but compared to most women she was very quiet and sweet. As soon as my nephew was born I was just overwhelmed with joy and gratitude to witness his first breaths! I couldn't hold back my tears! Thank you so much Kate and Dustin for sharing this with me. I hope I was a little help, although I think Kate didn't really need me at all, she was so strong!
Since he was 17 days early and his gender was unknown until birth Kate and Dustin did not have a name until he was about 18 hours old. When Kate called and told me his name, Bennett Samuel Wallace, I was so overwhelmed. His middle name is in honor of my sweet son in Heaven, Sam, who was born in July. I am deeply touched and love the idea of a part of Sam living on through his cousin. That moment when I learned of my nephews name was filled with a deep sense joy and pride, mixed with sadness. I wish Sam and Bennett could play and grow up together here on earth, but I take solace knowing that they are family and will be together in heaven one day. I like to think that Sam might be a guardian angel for his sweet younger cousin, Bennett. I am so very proud of my sister and can't wait to watch little Bennett grow up!
![]() |
| one blessed Aunt! |





2 comments:
What a sweet story. So awesome you got to be there, and I may have teared up reading about his name and his connection with your Samuel. Such a special bond. We need to get together again soon, have have all these kids play again!
Oh Jocelyn, I just love your words in this post! It is really special for me to read about the experience of Bennett's birth from your point of view. And it's nice to know I seemed calm and collected, because there at the end, I definitely didn't feel that way! And you should know that you were a HUGE source of strength for me. I would have been a complete mess without you by my side! So thank you again for your support :) I love that you said perhaps Sam can be a guardian angel watching over Bennett from Heaven. I think both of our youngest sons have a special bond now, and there will be a lot of celebrating when they meet in Heaven someday! Love you lots! Thanks again for EVERYTHING!
Post a Comment