Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. I actually first heard of this special day last year on October 15th through a friend of mine who has suffered multiple miscarriages. Ever since loosing our precious
Sam this year on July 30th, I have felt increasingly nudged to be more open about this type of loss and to share my own personal experience. One in four pregnancies end in miscarriage, stillbirth or infant death. Despite this surprisingly high statistic, the topic is rarely discussed. After a personal experience with miscarriage I feel like it is important for women (the ones that want to and feel it would be helpful) to have the opportunity to grieve the loss of their child with out feeling as if they are making people uncomfortable. I feel like women should be able to openly talk about their babies in heaven without feeling isolated or misunderstood. The only way for that to become a reality is for the topic of pregnancy and infant loss to be more understood.
 |
| One small way I remember our Sam |
On Saturday morning Philip, Levi, Joel and I participated in a local walk to support families who have experienced loss as well as raise awareness on this important topic. The walk was called We Remember You. Probably about 50 people participated in this walk where we were given the opportunity to write our babies names on a banner, buy remembrance bracelets, walk with other families affected by pregnancy or infant loss and finally release balloons in honor of our angel babies. It was a special time for our family. Another family from our church blessed us by joining us during the walk, which was very touching.
.jpg) |
| Philip & I wore these during the walk |
 |
| We were asked to participate in a video by writing a few words and then holding them up and having our picture taken. This is what I chose to write in honor of Sam. |
To all the mothers who may be reading this who have suffered the loss of a baby, you are not alone. You are that child's mother and your baby's life was true and had meaning no matter how short it was. Four weeks of pregnancy to 4 months of life a baby can have a huge impact on the world and God can use their life in big ways. I thank God for blessing me with the gift of being a mother three beautiful little boys. I treasure the time I am blessed to have with Levi and Joel here on earth, and am thankful for the 12 weeks I had Sam within me, and all God has taught me since bringing him to Heaven.
1 comment:
Love you Joyce! - Amy
Post a Comment