Monday, February 7, 2011

Little Blessings

As most of you know we got snow/ice starting February 1st and then the weather stayed in the 20s and under for 3 days with more snow falling in the wee hours of the morning until lunch time on the 4th. We got about 4-5 total inches at our house.

Last year when we got 12 inches of snow it was so beautiful and I really enjoyed all it had to offer. It only lasted 2 days and the temperatures were not as cold. Here is Levi in the snow suit Carol bought, it was a little too big last year, it's a 12 month size.
This time around I did not meet it with as much joy. Philip's mom was very sick when the ice was at his worst and he drove the 45 minute drive to see her on the icy overpasses on Wednesday the 2nd. I was thinking, really God? Is this the best time for this weather?

Then when Philip went outside to get in his car to try to make it to the hospital at 1am on the 4th to see his Mom before she passed because her nurse had just called him and woken him up by telling him that she was coding and they were doing chest compressions he saw that the snow was coming down heavily and came back inside for a few minutes to let the car warm up. Then as he crept his way to the hospital, the nurse called him back to say that she had died and he sat on the side of the road alone, crying, on an icy highway with limited visibility because it was snowing hard. Then I REALLY questioned God about this weather! Not to mention that my 18 month old was going totally stir crazy all week and so was his Momma! It took Philip 2 hours to make it to the hospital to say good by to his Mom. Really God?!?! And all the weather people could talk about was the super bowl! Urg! Philip got back home from the hospital at around 5:30am and told me had stopped on the way to help pull someone out of the snow with his 4 wheel drive truck. This is the amazing man I married, always thinking of others and always willing to help.

BUT...after he was finally able to go to sleep and he woke up around 11am there was beautiful snow everywhere, most all of it totally undisturbed on our street with every lawn in a perfect blanket of white. It was beautiful. Big flakes were still coming down. We all bundled up, Levi in his snug, highwater snow suit, and we spent about 30 minutes outside as a family playing in the snow and building a snow man. Philip got to spend time in the beauty of nature which is when he says he feels closest to God. We had something to distract us. Levi ran all over with a big grin on his face, eating snow, making tracks, throwing snow, helping make the snowman...Philip was loving watching him. And I thought....ok God, maybe you do know what you are doing...maybe this weather is a little blessing, after all, he made it driving without getting hurt and now we have this happy moment on a very sad day, that we will always remember.

9 comments:

Celice said...

What a beautiful story Jocelyn, thanks for sharing. You guys have been in our thoughts and prayers.

Molly said...

That made me tear up at the end.
You are an amazing little family and I love you all so much!!! Praying for abundant strength and comfort.

Dustin & Kate said...

I got all choked up reading this! What an amazing sister and amazing brother-in-law I have! You guys are inspirational. You are right - God does often bless us in unexpected ways and in unexpected times. Philip was an unexpected blessing to the person stuck in their car in the snow. (That is pretty darn awesome, by the way, that Philip would stop to help someone else after just learning that his mom had passed away!) And the beauty and fun of the snow was definitely a blessing for your sweet family. I love you guys, and I'm glad you have been able to see God's hand in the midst of sadness and difficulty. I'm also glad that the three of you have each other to lean on while you grieve. Hugs to all of you!

Unknown said...

Love you guys and praying for you all during this time. May God's grace and strength pour over you as you process and give thanks for Carol's life.

Ben and Abby said...

Oh Jocelyn - that made me tear up. I'm so, so sorry. Sending love and prayers your way. I loved your post - so honest and real and positive.

Ben and Abby said...

Oh and by the way, Levi looks adorable. He is such a cutie pie. :)

Amanda and Brian said...

What an inspirational post. It is always hard to find beauty during times of sorrow, but I am so glad you did. Thinking about you and your family this week.

Taylor said...

This is so beautifully written. In reading it, it reminded me that God provides a peace that passes understanding. I have you in my prayers today. Love you.

Natalyia said...

Wow, that made me cry. What a godly, inspiring family you all are to show selflessness in the hardest of times. Praying for you all especially today and wishing we could be there to support y'all.