My Gran taught me to sew when I was in elementary school. I have wonderful memories of sitting down with her to pick out a pattern, fabric and notions then plan out our projects. We made a dress, skirt and doll together, and possibly more that I may not specifically remember. Gran is an excellent seamstress, and I'm kinda glad she can't see very well anymore so that she doesn't know how basic the projects I complete are and how they usually still have mistakes despite their simplicity. I hope to one day be more of an expert, and since Gran was self taught, she is my inspiration :)
I purchased my sewing machine during my first year of marriage, back in 2005. I have used that simple little machine to make 4 stockings, a tree skirts, a few curtains, costumes, several baby dresses and nursing covers. This Christmas I made 3 dresses (of the same pattern) for my 3 nieces and they turned out pretty cute! Philip also snapped a few pictures of me in action for the first time, so I thought it was appropriate for me to write about my sewing for the first time here.
When I finish a project there is always a great sense of accomplishment. However, it is usually coupled with frustration over the mistakes I made or the length of time something seemingly simple (such as pleats) took when it should have been completed in minutes. I'm hoping I'll make fewer careless mistakes with more time and practice. Maybe I'll even be blessed with a daughter one day, which would greatly increase my desire to sew and improve my skills. Making boy clothes is no fun, friends having baby girls and my 3 nieces are what keep me sewing :). For memory sake, here are a few of my favorite projects...






1 comment:
Jocelyn, you are so good! I took a few sewing lessons when I first got married and it was so time consuming that I didn't stick with it. I think if I had a daughter I'd consider trying again.
Post a Comment