Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Back to School!

Levi started FIRST grade last week and Joel had his first day of pre-K today. Where or where does the time go?! Thankfully, both boys were very excited about starting school again and seemed pretty confident walking into their new classes for the first time. After walking Levi into his class he sat down at his desk looked up at me and said, "You can leave now, Mom, I need to start getting my work done." Leading up to the first day school he informed me on multiple occasions that 1st grade is a big deal and very serious. I think he was a little nervous about it, but also looking forward to being a "big kid." For some reason dropping him off at 1st grade was harder for me. I think seeing him sitting at a desk and in a class room with fewer toys and no centers just made him seem so much bigger! I have a hard time imagining him sitting still in a desk and listening to a teacher, but so far he has had great days at school and his teacher says he's doing very well!

Levi chose this outfit (head to toe) when shopping with Moe

special first day breakfast

big boy sitting at his DESK
When Joel walked into his class he didn't even turn around to tell me goodbye. Not even when I called out to him. It was a little sad, but I guess I'd rather that than have him clinging to me crying for me not to leave.Both boys reported that they had great first days of school. He seems to feel very at home at his preschool, likely because he came with me to drop off and pick up Levi for 2 years prior to attending there himself all of last year.He's spent a lot of time in that building, and everyone there knows him!
 
Excited for school!

getting so grown up!

Joel and his adorable friend, Chase.

After each of their first days they both remained so happy and confident. Levi was super excited that he was still able to play with his kindergarten buddies at recess, even though most all of them are in different classes this year. His school has a Spanish Immersion program (which Levi was adamantly against enrolling in) and two of his best buddies from kindergarten are in the program. When I picked him up after the first day one of the first things he told me was, "Eli and I got to play all during recess and he still speaks English!!!" Joel has two of his favorite friends in his preschool class this year, and he told me they had a lot of fun coloring together on their first day. Joel is feeling very grown up being in Pre-K and cannot wait to start kindergarten and go to school with Levi next year. I'm still in denial that he truly will be in kindergarten in a year!

We are blessed to have our boys in schools where we feel they are safe, loved and will learn and grow well. I'm praying for their teachers, friends and classmates and hope they will build positive relationships this year and in the future. Time advances faster every year and I'm trying my best to soak in all the moments while my boys are little. I know it will be a blink and they will be moving out on their own!

No comments: