When you have a second child everyone naturally compares the second to the first, especially in regards to how they look. This may be even more exaggerated in my case because of having two boys in a row. I have had comments ranging from "Wow, Joel looks exactly like Levi!" to "Wow, Joel looks nothing like Levi!" I think that Joel and Levi certainly look similar and are obviously from the same gene pool :) The most obvious differences are their mouths and that Levi had much longer thicker hair than Joel does. However, Joel looks very much like himself, as does Levi. Here is a comparison of both boys about 2.5 weeks old, judge for yourself:
Levi
Joel
Every day Levi seems to grow more attached to his little brother. He talks about him often and would love to
drag carry him all over the house if I would let him. I'm not sure he has an understanding that Joel is a person just like him, or if he thinks of him as more of a really fancy, impressively life like doll. Joel tolerates all the "loving" very well and usually takes a licking and keeps on sleeping :). I must admit though, that keeping Joel safe and trying to teach Levi how to treat his brother with love and respect is probably the very most exhausting thing I am doing right now. It seems odd, but Levi is who is exhausting me...not Joel! Levi is a little ahead of himself physically and verbally compared with his cognition and comprehension (in my opinion) so discipline and just giving him direction has been an exhausting undertaking. Not to mention that he has been getting up happy and ready to play between 6 and 6:30am while Joel has decided that his bedtime is between 10:30 and 11pm. Throw a couple middle of the night feedings in the mix and you have one sleepy eyed Mom by afternoon/evening! All that aside, I am loving having a newborn again, and sweet Levi keeps me laughing too. As with every stage of babyhood/childhood...this too shall pass (ahhh what a difference experience makes!) I am looking forward to watching these two learn to love each other and interact more and more...but I am loving our little family right now too and trying to soak up every moment :)
4 comments:
I love the two pictures. They do look alike. Next you'll have to pose Joel like you did Levi when you posed him lke Philip and put all three and have everyone guess who is who (that was a really long sentence). You have your hands full. Wish I was there to bring you dinner and hold little Joel. I know Caden would love playing with Levi.
Love the side by side pics! As I've said before, I don't really think they look that much alike. They DO look like brothers, but I'd never confuse them. Levi looks more like philip and Joel looks more like you!
I know adjusting to two kids is sooo exhausting. But you are doing a beautiful job! And I promise it will get (a little) easier with time :)
I think they look relataed....both absolutely adorable of course : ) What is up with these early risers? Charlotte has been up before 6:30 for the past week...it makes me want to cry when I am so tired. I know you must be doing a wonderful job even when you are a tired mommy!
They are both so cute, and definitely look like brothers. I agree with Kate that Joel seems to look more like you. Can't wait to meet him in person!
Post a Comment