Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween...

This year's Halloween was a strange one, to say the least. I know what I will remember about Halloween 2012 for years to come is my Mom's heart attack. However, we were able to celebrate some before the holiday as well as sneaking in a little trick or treating in Plano after leaving the hospital, so I want to document all that fun here:

Costumes:
Levi decided that he wanted Joel and himself to be "Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber" from Veggie Tales about 6 weeks before "Calloween". He loves the videos as well as the books and bible he has; which we read daily. He excitedly told me that he would be Larry because he was taller and Joel could be Bob because he was little. I searched online and found no child sized Bob and Larry any where (I did find one adult sized Larry...odd). So, I decided to make the costumes Levi was so excited about.  I bought fleece for 75% off and borrowed a pumpkin pattern from a friend. I was able to modify the pattern pretty well and sewing with fleece is super easy! I am pretty pleased with the results and everyone that recognized Bob and Larry was pretty complimentary as well :)

Larry and his friend Bob :)
The inspiration- God made you special and he loves you very much!

Trunk-or-Treat:
Every year our church hosts a "Trunk or Treat" party and invites not only all the families at the church, but also the community around us. We always have a great turn out and the kids have a blast! There is always free hot dogs, chips, drinks and of course candy. Games, face painting and bounce houses top off the fun evening. Levi and Joel had fun walking from car to car and gathering a ridiculous amount of candy. Everyone ooed and ahhed over their cuteness as "Bob and Larry" from Veggie tales :) There were a lot of really cute and creative costumes this year! The weather was beautiful and it was a fun evening for our family.

4 years in a row of fun with Gracie and Levi...too cute!
Joel digging in
Levi often "helped" Joel
lots of friends were there like...Grayson the scare-crow
and Mr. Archer or 'the candy man' who gives out candy every sunday too!
and Rainbow Dash Autry
Kitty Cat Jane...
Cinderella Ellie and Train Conductor Brady...
hospital patient Hudson, and Peppermint Anabelle :)
Joel was none too pleased to only get one candy :)
Carving Pumpkins:
On Tuesday night we gathered around our kitchen table and carved up some "Pumps" as Joel would call them. We had a blast with the boys and Levi was adorable! Not only did he have a very specific expression he wanted for his pumpkin, but he sang a song he made up on the spot about scooping pumpkin guts that I am sure I will watch (yes, I actually managed to be lucky enough to catch it on video!) for years to come. Joel was more interested in bouncing his "pump" and watching Philip and Levi scoop out the insides. We tried to get him to touch the guts but he thought that was way icky :). Our pumpkins turned out pretty cute...too bad we weren't home to light them on Halloween :(

proud to carry the big one!
pump pats
 

Daddy's helpers

all done!




Trick-or-Treating:
By some miracle I thought to throw the boys costumes in the car as we were heading out the door to the hospital with in minutes of getting the call from my Dad that my Mom was in the cath lab. So, once we left the hospital that evening we headed to my parents for the boys to get a little nap as well as have some dinner. It was nice to get to spend a little time with my Gran and two of my Aunts, as well as do a little trick or treating in my childhood neighborhood. We made lots of people smile when they recognized me and realized that I was bringing my young sons to their home. I think my Aunts and Gran enjoyed seeing the boys in their costumes as well. Levi was an expert trick-or-treater this year and raced from house to house repeating "trick or treat, thank you!" while Joel didn't understand the concept of putting his candy in the bucket (he insisted on holding at least 2 pieces at all times) and was more interested in the lights and decorations than in stock piling the candy. Levi was a little disappointed that we were not able to show his costume to his two favorite neighbors, Ms. Gloria and Mr. Hans, so on Thursday night we made two last stops and both of our (elderly) neighbors LOVED it. We sure are blessed to have such sweet, wonderful people living on either side of our home.

ready to go!

my parent's neighbors, the McAdams

that's one cute bunch to walk behind :)

knocking on a door

cool decorations!

family photo at the Pfiffner's
showing Pop his loot!
Tomato love from Pop

2 comments:

Dustin & Kate said...

What a fun post! This was definitely a crazy Halloween, and one we will always remember! But I'm glad you and your family were able to still do lots of fun things this year too! The costumes you made the boys are AMAZING! I think you need to teach me how to sew :) And that video of Levi is so cute too! I love that God arranged for you to be able to trick or treat in Mom and Dad's neighborhood. I know it was a bummer not to be in your own neighborhood, but it was such a blessing for our aunts and Gran to have you there! I know it brought everyone so much joy to see your precious little Bob and Larry!

Amanda and Brian said...

Great post! I love the costumes, you did an amazing job! What a crafty momma!