I know there are a lot of family and friends and acquaintances out there praying for my Mom. That knowledge is so very reassuring. I have spent the last day and a half in a state of suspended reality. In my mind I know my Mom has had a heart attack, but the fact is it still seems so surreal. I spent my morning visiting her today and she seems much like her normal positive wonderful self. Yes, she is weak and tired, yes she is continuously hooked up to an EKG and has 2 IV lines in her arms, but her color was good, she was able to get out of bed a bit and she was ooing and ahhing over pictures of all the cute kids we know in their costumes on facebook. She even told me with tears in her eyes that God sure is sweet to her and that she is so glad to know that He loves her very much. I have to agree, but if I were in her place I'm not sure I would have the same attitude. I hope I would.
So, here is the medical update; her cardiologist came by this morning and reported that from the lab work and testing they have done it appears that the damage to her heart is classified as moderate. She will have to be on a specialized medication that will help heal the injured heart muscle for 13 weeks. During that time her physical activity will be greatly limited. She will also have to be on fish oil, a cholesterol lowering agent, a betablocker and a blood thinner (such as aspirin) for the rest of her life. Her recovery will be slow, but in the long term her cardiologist expects her recovery to be complete and for her to live a full life and be back to her regular energy and activity levels. This is wonderful news! Since the blockage was in her LAD and was 100% the outcome could have been so much worse. We are all feeling very thankful that things are stable and she is still here with us!
God has been working through all of us during this trial and I would like to share just a few ways:
-my Dad usually travels monday - friday out of state for work, but Hurricane Sandy kept him home
-my Aunt Kathy (my mom's sister) arrived in town Tuesday for a visit and is caring for Gran
-the cardiologist on duty when my mom came in is very kind, and has advanced training in heart attacks
-we have been surrounded immediately by loving family and friends willing to do anything to help
-Levi and Joel ended up trick or treating in my old neighborhood and brought many smiles to my aunts, grandmother and parents of my friends from when I was growing up
-we have been given a reminder of how blessed we are and how special our family is and that God will give us everything we need!
Thank you for all the outpouring of love via text, calls, e-mails and other social media. It has carried us through to hear that so many are praying. Please keep the prayers coming! I know all these new restrictions on my Mom will be hard for her because she is so active and spends so much of her time worrying and caring for others. She is going to have a hard time being still and letting others care for her these next 13 weeks. Please pray for her to have strength of body, heart and mind. Please pray for all of us; family, friends and medical personnel, who are going to be caring for her during her recovery. Thank you, thank you, I hope to return the favor one day when you are in need.
No comments:
Post a Comment